Despite What You’ve Heard…
- The D.E.T. DOES NOT prohibit school officials from being involved in formals.
- This year in Sydney, over 130,000 teens will attend ILLEGAL formals and expose 368 high schools (or their organisers) to liability.
- Without the schools approval, 86% of Formals will go ahead regardless, and will be booked in the school’s name.
- Formals booked without the use of the school’s name, STILL expose the school (or it’s individual representatives) to potential legal and financial liability.
- Teachers and School Staff ARE NOT permitted to supervise or secure formals on licensed premises – ever!
- Formals ARE NOT official school events and are not covered by school insurance.
- Students who drink liquor and use illicit drugs exist at ALL high schools.
- 92% of Formals organised by school officials or unguided students without professional help are non-compliant, and therefore uninsured, every season in Sydney.
- Formals are HARDER to organise than weddings.
- Of all venues accepting formal bookings (at last survey), less than 9% were legally
permitted to do so.
- 94% of student committee members consider security as LOWEST priority. 91% of
teachers consider security as HIGHEST priority. Less than 1% of either considered legal compliance at all.
- Pre-Formal Drinks are NOT someone else’s problem.
- “Working with Children Check” applies to EVERY adult that works or volunteers at formals.
- It can take hundreds of hours of work to organise a formal without professional help.