This page is dedicated to publishing facts and figures about the school formal market acquired and discovered during many and varied surveys and information-gathering exercises that have been conducted over the years, and are ongoing.
Most of the information provided here has come from ELK & Sons Consolidated Pty Ltd and represents an overview of information that is a combination of direct experience, that which has been given to us in open surveys, and that which has been extrapolated using generally accepted methods. For that reason, the information’s accuracy is as sound as the reliability of those from whom it was obtained and is produced here as fodder more for curiosity than anything greater.
Figures relating to the revenues of the school formal industry (as at last survey period):
|Area||# of High Schools
||Total Prom Revenue|
|Area||# of High Schools||Total Prom Revenue|
Ratio of Dollars spent
Individual items (items experienced by only individuals) 83%
Group items (items experienced collectively by the whole guest list) 17%
Figures relating to the Times of Year and Week
- 4% of school formals occur in School Term 2
- 4% of school formals occur in School Term 3
- 92% of school formals occur in School Term 4
- 76% of school formals occur Mon-Thursday
- 24% of school formals occur Fri-Sunday
Planning Time Frames
- 12+ Months 24%
- 9 – 11 Months 52%
- 6 – 8 Months 18%
- 2 – 5 Months 4%
- Last Minute 2%
Ratio of Years, school formals and Market Share
- 100% of Year 12 groups will have some kind of school formal
- 52% of Year 10 Groups will have some kind of school formal
- 22% of Year 11 Groups will have some kind of school formal
- 67% of the entire school formals market is Year 12
- 28% of the entire school formals market is Year 10
- 5% of the entire school formals market is Year 11
Figures relating to schools & school formals
- 86% of student committees refused official permission and support for the school formal will go ahead and have one anyway.
- 94% of school formals proceeding without school permission will be booked in the school’s name.
- 92% of school formals taking place each season are illegal in one respect or another due to one or several breaches of regulations or laws.
- 100% of those school formals in breach would automatically be uninsured as a result.
- 6% of school formals have parents as invited guests.
- 18% of school formals have teachers as invited guests.
- 2% of school formals have both parents and teachers as invited guests.
- The average student in year 12 attends 2.3 school formals in the same season. One as their own and others as invited guests.
- 0.5% of girls attending more than one school formal in a season wear the same outfit twice or more.
- 67% of boys attending more than one school formal in a season wear the same outfit twice or more.
Figures relating to school formal venues & packages
Of all the venues actively appealing to the market for their school formal business, only 9% are legally permitted to do so.
- 68% of marketing material being distributed to the school formal market by venues contains either illegally stated information, or false & misleading information.
- The average “advertised” price of a school formal package at “budget” venues is $89.
- The average “actual” price of a school formal package at “budget” venues is $132.
- The average “actual” price of a school formal package at “premium” venues is $136.
- The average percentage of “budget” venues that charge extra for items that they advertise as “all inclusive” is 63%.
- The average percentage of committees that recoup all of their security bond back from a budget venue after a school formal is 28%.
Preferences in relation to school formal package Inclusions
Of 1265 formal committees surveyed, this is the priority they placed on each of the inclusions mentioned, and the types of venues preferred…
- Planning Software / System
- Custom Ticketing
- Pro Security
- Club DJ
- Prestige Venues
- Legal Compliance
- MC / Event Manager
- On-Line Photo Gallery
- Data Projection
- Extra Services Discount Vouchers
- Custom Designed Cake
- Chair Covers
- Venue Views
- Flowers on Tables
- Long Stem Roses
- Helium Balloons Floating
- Balloons on Tables
- Coloured Table Linen
- Custom Printed Souvenir Shirts
- Live Webcasting
- Live Bands
- Magicians / Comedians
- 5 Star Hotels
- CBD Prestige Named Venues
- Private Function Centres
- Government Function Centres
- RSL / Bowling Clubs
- School Halls